- This event has passed.
Webinar 2 | Create a Culture of Reading at School and at Home: Independent Reading’s Impact on Students’ Reading Lives
October 22 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Date and Time
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EST
Webinar 2: Independent Reading’s impact on Students’ Reading Lives Target Audience: 6-8 Teachers and Administrators
Students who learn to self-select “good fit” books they can read and enjoy at school and home, gain the practice and reading volume needed to enlarge their vocabularies, background knowledge, and develop their personal reading identities.
Participants will learn:
- The research that shows why independent reading matters and the relationships between independent reading and students’ growth;
- How independent reading looks online and in a classroom;
- How the principal can foster independent reading;
- Suggestions for modeling how to choose a “good-fit” book;
- Ways to organize classroom and e-libraries to help students self-select books;
- The benefits of 15-20 minutes of daily independent reading at the start of class;
- How to keeping a simple Book Log and how to use it effectively; and
- Easy-to-manage book and elevator talks that advertise great books to peers.