- This event has passed.
Webinar 3 | Create a Culture of Reading at School and at Home: Interactive Read-Aloud, A Powerful Teaching Tool
November 19 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Date and Time
Thu, Nov 19, 2020 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EST
Webinar 3: Interactive Read-Aloud: A Powerful Teaching Tool Target Audience: 6-8 Teachers and Administrators
Evan and Laura encourage you to have students improve their reading skill by having them read books and materials at their instructional reading levels. When this happens, you need a common text—an interactive read aloud that’s the same genre or theme of your reading unit. It’s a short text that you can complete in a week: picture books, myths, folk and fairy tales, short, short stories, articles, or excerpts from long texts. Interactive read-alouds are your 12-to-15-minute mini-lessons.
Participants will learn how this tool will enable you to:
- Build students’ vocabulary as you teach sets of words and how to use context clues to determine the meaning of a word;
- Think-aloud to show how you have emotional reactions to a book;
- Model how you apply reading strategies such as inferring and visualizing;
- Show students how you link literary elements (fiction) or text structures (informational materials) to the read aloud;
- Involve students in practicing what you’ve modeled;
- Create an Anchor Chart that features vocabulary work and showcases students’ thinking; and
- Teach writing about reading in readers’ notebooks.
Save 10% when a school/district purchases ten or more seats on same P.O. Contact us to place such discounted bulk purchases and/or to purchase through P.O.